The vLA128 is a modern plugin replacement for the Spectrum 128K(aka ‘Toastrack’) or Spectrum +2 (Grey case) ULA (type 7K010E-5 or Amstrad 40056). It is one of several ULA replacements I have made for members of the Sinclair computer family including the vLA81 for the ZX81, the vLA82 for the Spectrum 48K and the vLA1 for the Sinclair ZX Interface 1.
As they simply don’t make Spectrum 128K ULAs anymore, then unfortunately if the ULA has failed, then options for repair are diminishing. The vLA128 provides a simple way to keep these icons of 80’s computing going.
vLA128 features include:
- Fits within the same 48 pin socket outline as the original ULA.
- Narrow IC pins for easy plugin ULA replacement. In most cases the existing socket will be OK.
- Provides the same functionality as the Sinclair 7K010E-5/ Amstrad 40056.
- Passes standard ULA benchmark tests (floatspy, Brendan’s Diagnostic ROM etc.).
- Tested with an extensive suite of Spectrum 128/+2 (Grey) software.
- Ideal for preserving the original Toastrack/+2 ULA.
- Low power consumption.
You can download the install guide here.
Whether you want to just get a faulty Spectrum 128K back up and running, or want to preserve that precious Toastrack ULA, then the vLA128 is exactly what you need.